Organizing your Companies, People, Deals, and Activities is essential to your success in the field. If you want to spend less time entering data and managing your day, then this is a great place to start. After reading through this article you’ll understand how to best set your Map My Customers account for long-term success.
In Map My Customers, we reflect a very similar data organization approach to many popular CRMs. You can create several objects (such as companies, deals, people, etc.) and also link them together for better visibility when navigating through our web or mobile application.
In this section we’ll cover how to use:
Companies in Map My Customers are the organizations that you do business with. In similar software systems they may be called “Accounts” or “Organizations”.
Some notes about companies:
- Companies can be linked to each other in parent/child relationships. For example, regional branches could be “child” Companies linked to the “parent” Company, the headquarters.
- A Company can have any number of People linked to it
- A Company can have any number of Deals linked to it
To create a Company:
- Click the “+” icon in the Navigation Bar.
- Select “Add Company”
People in Map My Customers are the individuals you communicate with. In similar software systems they may be called “contacts”, “leads”, or “prospects”. A person works for a Company.
Some notes about People:
- A Person can be associated with only one Company
- A Person can be associated with any number of Deals
Deals in Map My Customers are discreet sales opportunities that you are pursuing with a Company or Person. In similar software systems they may be called “opportunities” or “estimates”.
Some notes about Deals:
- Deals have unique information that other objects do not: Amount, Close Date, Funnel, and Stage
- A Deal can be associated with only one Company
- A Deal can be associated with only one Person
- A Deal can only be in one Funnel
- A Deal can be in only one Stage at a time
Activities in Map My Customers represent any action (such as a call or meeting) that you performed or will perform in the future. In similar software systems these may be called “tasks” or “events”.
Default Activity types:
Some notes about Activities:
- Activities have unique information that other objects do not: Type and Status
- You can schedule Activities in relation to a Company, Person, Deal or all three.
- Custom Activity types can be created
- Activities have their own Notes (separate from Notes attached to Companies, People, and Deals)
- Activities can be marked with a Status of “Complete” or “Incomplete”, depending upon if they’ve already been performed or will be performed in the future
Groups in Map My Customers are vital to the success of your organization of data. Groups can be assigned to the three “main” objects: Companies, People, and Deals.
With Groups, you can share records with teammates, filter lists and maps, build custom reports, and much more.
Use Groups to “bucket” your data into logical groupings. For example, some folks will use Groups for categorizing Companies by customer health (e.g. active customers, prospects, lost customers), dividing Companies by the product lines they buy (e.g. product A, product B, product C), or even for grouping Deals by size so that teammates get the right Deals (e.g. SMB deals, Mid Market deals, Enterprise deals).