Layouts allow you to create fully-customized forms so your team knows what’s necessary and doesn’t waste time on filling out less important information. Layouts define the order that fields will appear when users are creating new Companies, People, Deals, or Activities.
To access Layouts:
- Go to Settings by clicking on the Gear Icon
- Navigate to the “Layouts” tab under Forms & Fields on the left-hand side
- Select Companies, People, Deals, or Activities to view layouts specific object
- Here you can view the name of the form, the Date Created and Last Modified, the Creator and the access of this particular Layout
By default - MMC will create a standard Company, People, Deal and Activity layout that can be accessed / edited here.
To edit an existing Layout:
- Hover over the Layout you would like to edit to bring up the Edit button
This will open the Edit Layout page. On the left side of the screen - you will see all the object specific fields (Standard and Custom). In the center of the screen - you will see the existing format of the Layout.
- To add an additional field to the Layout, drag the field you would like from the left side of the screen, into the center Layout
- The blue line will highlight where that field will be added within the Layout
- To remove a field from the Layout, hover over the field you would like to remove and select the trash can icon on the right side of the field
- To mark a field as required, hover over the field you would like to require and select the asterisk icon on the right side of the field
- Marking a field as required will force a user to fill out this field upon creation of this record type
- To rearrange the order of the fields, use the grab icon on the left side of the field and drag the field to the desired position
- Use Dividers to help organize the fields into different sections within the Layout
- EX: If you have different fields for Sales Metrics - group these fields together using Dividers to separate from more basic Email / Phone / Website information
- At the top of the Layout - use the check box to allow users to temporarily add fields that may not be included in your standard Layout while creating a record
- Enabling this gives your team the flexibility to add any field to their form for only that instance. Generally, it’s helpful to limit your layouts to what is truly necessary and allow your team to add more information as needed.
To preview how the Layout will appear on Web for users, click the blue “Preview” button in the upper right corner.
To save the configuration you have created, click the blue “Save Layout” button in the upper right corner. Any changes that have been made will automatically be pushed out to any user with access to this layout.
To share Layouts:
By default - if you have one Layout created within your MMC account, this Layout will be shared with all Teams and all Roles within that Team.
However, one size may not fit all and there may be scenarios where one Layout does not suit every user on your team as best as possible i.e. Inside Sales vs Outside Sales team members.
To create a new Layout - hit the blue “New Layout” button and follow the steps in the “To edit an existing Layout” section of this article to create a new Layout format.
Upon creating and saving additional layouts - you will be prompted to share this new Layout with the appropriate Teams / Roles.
Here you will be able to select which Teams will use this Layout as their default option. Beyond specifying the Team - the Layout can be as granular as different roles (Manager or Member) on a team having different Layout access.
To make any edits to Layout permissions after the initial creation - use the dropdowns in the “Used by” column to change the Layout sharing permissions
To create Activity Type specific Layouts:
Creating a Meeting in MMC may not call for the same information to be filled out as compared to logging a Call made by phone. During a Meeting you may want to indicate any materials left or presentations show, during a Call you may want to log call outcomes like left a voicemail or connected with a decision maker.
Activity Variants allow you to create Layouts that are specific to a certain Activity Type
- Navigate to the Activities portion of the Layouts by going to Settings > Layouts > Activities in the top tabs
- To add an Activity Variant to an existing Layout - click the Edit button that appears when hovering over the Layout of your choice
- In the top left corner - select the +Variant button to start creating a new Activity Type specific layout
- From the dropdown - select the Activity Type you would like to create a new Layout variant for
- When creating a new Variant, the blue banner at the top of the screen will indicate what Activity Type Variant is being created. By default - the Layout will show the Primary structure of your Activity Layout.
- Using the instructions from the “To edit an existing Layout” portion of this article - make the necessary changes to your new Activity Variant. A new Variant will need to be created for each Activity Type that you would like to customize
- Once you have created the Activity Type Variants - you are able to click through the different Layouts on the left side of the page
- To finalize any changes - click the blue Save button in the upper right corner
To delete an existing Layout:
Note: Layouts cannot be deleted when they are currently assigned to any Teams / Roles. At least one layout must be assigned for each object in MMC (Companies, People, Deals, and Activities). Prior to deleting a layout - switch the permissions using the instructions in the “To share Layouts” portion of this article
- Use the Trash Can icon on the right side of the Layout you would like to delete
- To finalize this deletion - type the word “DELETE” into the popup that appears